Platelet Rich Fibrin
Platelet Rich Fibrin
Platelet Rich Fibrin Columbus, OH
Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is an autologous platelet concentrate collected from your own blood at our office just before the dental procedure in which it will contribute. Platelet rich fibrin is a by-product of your own blood that is exceptionally rich in platelets. PRF has been used often in hospitals to accelerate the natural healing process, and now it has been introduced into oral surgery procedures. Your blood platelets perform some essential functions in the body, including blood clotting and the release of growth factors that help to heal any wounds. These growth factors stimulate the stem cells to produce new host tissue as quickly as possible, which is why platelet rich fibrin is so effective in the post-treatment healing process.
At East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry, our entire team loves helping you develop optimal oral health as well as a functional and healthy smile. Our team uses forward thinking treatments and state-of-the-art technology, to ensure the most comfortable treatment for you. Our practice focuses on delivering personal care and developing individual treatment plans based on your unique needs. We emphasize preventive care and patient education because we want you to understand why it is important to keep your mouth healthy and how to do it. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment for an evaluation of the benefits of Platelet Rich Fibrin for you.
When is Platelet Rich Fibrin Used?
Platelet rich fibrin is beneficial in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the following ways:
- Bone Repair – Platelet rich fibrin can be used in facial trauma reconstruction as well as the removal of growths and cysts.
- Bone Grafting for Implants – this also includes the closure of a cleft lip and cleft palate, sinus lifts, ridge augmentation, as well as both inlay and onlay grafts.
- Fistula Repair – This is the repair of fistulas, the abnormal connection between your mouth and your sinus cavity.
The Benefits of Platelet Rich Fibrin
Some advantages and benefits of platelet rich fibrin treatment include:
- Accelerated Healing – Saturating the wound with platelet rich fibrin will help increase the tissue synthesis due to its growth factors, which then results in faster tissue regeneration. Faster healing simply decreases the risk of possible later infections, complications, and minimizes discomfort.
- Safety and Convenience – There is no chance of any disease transmission since the blood is harvested from your own blood. The amount of blood needed is so small it can be obtained during a routine outpatient procedure at East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry.
- Lower Infection Risk – Platelet rich fibrin is secured on your wound after the procedure by our team which in turn will seal the wound from any infectious agents, lowering the risk of complications after your surgery.
Several Periodontal Procedures Benefitting from Platelet Rich Fibrin
- Sinus lift- A platelet-rich fibrin can be used if a sinus lift is required for a dental implant.
- Guided bone and tissue regeneration- We will use platelet rich fibrin in guided bone and tissue regeneration.
- Ridge preservation- Ridge preservation is a procedure to reduce bone loss after a tooth extraction to preserve the dental alveolus in the alveolar bone. A platelet-rich fibrin membrane containing bone growth enhancing elements can be stitched over your wound or a graft material is placed in the socket of your extracted tooth at the time of extraction. The socket is then covered with a non-resorbable or resorbable membrane and sutured closed.
- Periodontal regeneration- The reproduction of a lost or injured part to restore the function of the entire group of periodontal tissues becomes an integral part of periodontal therapy. Conventional open flap deep cleaning may fall short of regenerating tissues destroyed by the disease. Platelet rich fibrin has shown significant improvement in intense procedures of this nature. Platelet-rich fibrin has also shown exceptional results in periodontal regeneration. One of the most common aesthetic problems encountered is gingival recession, which in turn is perceived by you as an increase in the length of your teeth. Though a connective tissue graft is currently the gold standard for treatment, we have used platelet rich fibrin as an alternative procedure because it can help with your level of comfort.
The Protocol for a Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment
East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry will do a thorough evaluation and determine whether you are a candidate for the PRF treatment. For example, if you have blood clotting disorders you cannot take advantage of this treatment. We will collect a small sample of your blood which will then be placed into a centrifuge to separate the plasma and fibrin from the red blood cells. The centrifuge concentrates the platelets, fibrin and white blood cells which contains a growth factor called Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF).
Immediately after completing your procedure, we will apply a large amount of your platelet rich fibrin to the surgical site to accelerate the healing and lessen the amount of discomfort after surgery. We will provide specific aftercare instructions pertaining to the surgery and a prescription for pain medication as required.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY
Dr. Levy and the staff are wonderful, friendly, caring people. They make you feel calm during what can be a very stressful time. I had a deep cleaning & extraction yesterday and it was painless and quick. I was in and out in just a little over an hour. I received instructions for my aftercare along with the items needed to take care of my mouth. I feel wonderful today, no pain and eating normally. If you have anxiety about visiting the dentist, come see Dr. Levy and staff, they will put you at ease and take good care of you!
- Christi L
Everyone made me feel so welcomed even though I was nervous, Dr. Levy was great and informative made me feel very comfortable. I would recommend this office to anyone.
- Dee H.
The Cost of Your Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment
The cost of your platelet rich fibrin treatment will vary depending on your individual needs and your treatment plan. We will discuss with you the cost of your treatment and each of your available payment options before we begin, so that you can make the best choice for your situation.
Affordable Payment Plans
Your smile is an invaluable asset, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to receive the best dental care when you need it. East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry accepts most major credit cards and insurance plans. Our office staff is always available to help you with insurance claims and paperwork. We will work with your insurance provider to make sure that your coverage meets your needs and your budget.
Please let us know if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.
A Mission Statement YOU can Trust for High Quality Periodontal Care
The entire team at East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry is focused on providing you with excellence in periodontal and implant care in a concerned, caring, gentle, friendly, and relaxed environment.
Our philosophy of care is multidisciplinary, to create partnerships with your general dentist as well as other dental specialists and provide you with the most comprehensive treatment planning and care that is available today.
Our team believes that communication is crucial for both you and us, both in written documentation and verbal communication. Value-based decisions are at the cornerstone of our personalized treatment for you. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment that works for your schedule.