Gum Grafting Columbus, OH
A gum graft refers to an assortment of surgical procedures performed to thicken the existing gums, and possibly cover an exposed tooth root surface to prevent any further gum recession from developing. There are several potential causes for exposed roots, the most common of which is gum disease. But it can also occur due to aggressive brushing.
In addition to improving the healthy look of your smile, having a gum graft procedure performed can protect your teeth from effects commonly associated with gum recession.
At East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry, our entire team loves helping you develop optimal oral health as well as a functional and healthy smile. Our team uses forward thinking treatments and state-of-the-art technology, to ensure the most comfortable treatment for you. Our practice focuses on delivering personal care and developing individual treatment plans based on your unique needs. We emphasize preventive care and patient education because we want you to understand why it is important to keep your mouth healthy and how to do it. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment for an evaluation of the benefits of a gum grafting treatment for you.
Are You a Candidate for Gum Grafting?
Gum grafting can sound like an intimidating procedure, but with modern advances in techniques and materials, it can now be quick and painless. There are many benefits associated with having the procedure performed. Following your gum grafting at East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry, you can begin to enjoy:
- Better Gum Health: Perhaps the most important benefit associated with having a gum graft is that doing so can prevent the progression of periodontal disease. As a result, a gum graft may play a critical role in you avoiding future bone loss or the extraction of a tooth.
- Reduced Tooth Sensitivity: Because your gum graft will cover the exposed root, you will notice that your teeth will become less sensitive to hot or cold foods.
- Improved Aesthetic Appearance: If you have experienced gum recession you may have felt self-conscious about your smile because your teeth can appear to be longer than what is considered normal. By having a gum grafting procedure performed, your teeth will appear to be shorter and more proportionally balanced, which will improve the overall aesthetic appearance of your smile.
The Gum Grafting Procedure
In most cases, a local anesthetic will be administered during the gum grafting procedure. During your surgery, small incisions will be made at the site of the recession to create an opening for the tissue graft. A split thickness incision will be made to create a flap, and the gum graft will be placed in the pocket between the two sections of tissue.
Sutures are often used to help stabilize the graft and prevent it from moving. You will be healed and notice uniformity of your gums within about six weeks.
The Cost of Your Gum Grafting
The cost of your gum grafting treatment will vary depending on your individual needs and your personal treatment plan. We will discuss with you the cost of your treatment and each of your available payment options before we begin, so that you can make the best choice for your situation.
Common Types of Gum Grafting
There are four distinct gum grafts that can be performed with gum tissue based upon your specific needs, which include the following:
- Free Gingival Grafts. A free gingival graft involves using tissue from your palate, or the roof of your mouth. In this procedure, a small portion of tissue is taken from the roof of the mouth and attached to the affected gum area. This procedure is effective if you already have thin gums and require additional tissue to make the gum area larger.
- Connective-tissue Grafts. This type of graft effectively treats you if you have exposed roots. East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry begins by cutting a flap of skin at the roof of your mouth and removing the connective tissue from underneath the flap, where it is then stitched to the gum tissue that surrounds the exposed root. Once the graft is removed, the flap at the roof of the mouth is sutured back.
- Pedicle Grafts. If you have sufficient gum tissue near the affected tooth, a graft may be created using the gum rather than any tissue from the roof of your mouth. The flap of gum tissue is partially cut away with an edge remaining attached to the gumline. Then, the gum is stretched to cover the area where the root is exposed. This gum tissue is then sewn into place.
- An allograft is an alternative material that is not harvested from your own tissue. Rather, the material is from donated human tissue that has been medically processed and prepared. In this method, you will experience less discomfort, as you do not need to have tissue removed to make your graft.
Gum Graft Post Procedure Aftercare
To facilitate your healing process, it is essential to follow post-procedure instructions we will provide you. Avoid hard foods for at least one or two weeks following your procedure and avoid any foods or liquids that are extremely hot or extremely cold. We may also prescribe pain medication or antibiotics to help avoid infection, speed up your recovery process, and alleviate any discomfort you might be experiencing. If you follow these best practices, your gum graft will heal within one or two weeks.
The most important thing you can do following your gum graft is to continue to practice good oral hygiene habits. Brush your teeth twice daily and for at least two minutes each time and continue flossing regularly. Along with these important at home care practices, to continue enjoying your healthy smile, be sure you continue scheduling regular visits every six months. During these routine checkups, East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry can conduct consistent cleanings and monitor the overall state of your oral health, stopping issues before they develop.
Affordable Payment Plans
Your smile is an invaluable asset, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to receive the best dental care when you need it. East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry accepts most major credit cards and insurance plans. Our office staff is always available to help you with insurance claims and any paperwork. We work with your insurance provider to make sure that your coverage meets your needs and your budget.
Please let us know if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY
Dr. Levy and the staff are wonderful, friendly, caring people. They make you feel calm during what can be a very stressful time. I had a deep cleaning & extraction yesterday and it was painless and quick. I was in and out in just a little over an hour. I received instructions for my aftercare along with the items needed to take care of my mouth. I feel wonderful today, no pain and eating normally. If you have anxiety about visiting the dentist, come see Dr. Levy and staff, they will put you at ease and take good care of you!
- Christi L
Everyone made me feel so welcomed even though I was nervous, Dr. Levy was great and informative made me feel very comfortable. I would recommend this office to anyone.
- Dee H.
A Mission Statement YOU can Trust for High Quality Periodontal Care
The entire team at East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry is focused on providing you with excellence in periodontal and implant care in a concerned, caring, gentle, friendly, and relaxed environment.
Our philosophy of care is multidisciplinary, to create partnerships with your general dentist as well as other dental specialists and provide you with the most comprehensive treatment planning and care that is available today.
Our team believes that communication is crucial for both you and us, both in written documentation and verbal communication. Value-based decisions are at the cornerstone of our personalized treatment for you. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment that works for your schedule.