Children's Periodontics Columbus, OH
Periodontal treatment is usually performed on adults, but there are situations when your child may require periodontal care to correct gum-related issues that might be caused by an infection or another issue. It is rare for children to need treatment for bone loss or the buildup of plaque, although children with thin gum tissue could benefit from a gum grafting procedure. There are also some instances when surgical adjustment of bone or soft tissue is necessary for successful orthodontic treatment.
At East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry, we are committed to providing your child with attentive, delicate care to make sure they receive the treatment they need and are as comfortable as possible. During your child’s initial examination, we will welcome you to be into the room as we perform our evaluation. We will explain our findings and discuss treatment options with both you and your child in a patient and reassuring manner. We will also answer any questions that either of you have. We also can offer sedation options as part of children’s periodontal procedures if desired.
At East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry, our entire team loves helping you develop optimal oral health as well as a functional and healthy smile. Our team uses forward thinking treatments and state-of-the-art technology, to ensure the most comfortable treatment for you. Our practice focuses on delivering personal care and developing individual treatment plans based on your unique needs. We emphasize preventive care and patient education because we want you to understand why it is important to keep your mouth healthy and how to do it. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment for an evaluation of the benefits of children’s periodontics or pediatric periodontics.
Why is Oral Hygiene So Important?
One of the most important services we provide our patients of all ages is education on the importance of good oral hygiene habits. Establishing these habits at an early age is essential to avoid developing issues as they grow. Here are four critical reasons why we encourage you to teach your child the importance of good oral hygiene habits:
- Health of their adult teeth: Compared to adult teeth, the baby teeth are smaller and have a thinner layer of protective enamel, which increases the risk of cavities and decay developing. Because the adult teeth rest behind baby teeth, any health issues that impact your child’s baby teeth will also damage their adult teeth.
- Alignment of their adult teeth: If the baby teeth are lost too early it will result in less room for the permanent tooth to grow, which can result in improper alignment and crooked teeth.
- Development of speech patterns: Your child can develop poor speech patterns early when the baby teeth are not properly aligned, and this can persist through adulthood.
- Self-Esteem: Having strong, healthy teeth and a healthy smile plays a foundational role in the development of your child’s self-esteem and self-confidence. Having noticeable dental issues can make children feel embarrassed, anxious, or angry about their smile, which can inhibit your child’s ability to create friendships, develop confidence, and therefore be well-adjusted.
Frenectomy For Newborns and Children
If your child’s frenulum is too thick, tight, or short, tongue-tie issues can develop. There are several different issues that can develop because of a restricted range of motion for the tongue. Among newborns, the most significant issue is nursing difficulty. If your newborn is cannot keep their tongue over their lower gum, they will be unable to properly suckle at the nipple.
Common signs of frenum-related issues among newborns and children include:
- They have difficulty eating.
- Their speech pattern issues developing.
- They express discomfort, pain, or restriction in the tongue area.
- They have difficulty moving their tongue side-to-side.
- The tongue is difficult to lift to the upper teeth.
- The have difficulty pushing tongue past lower front teeth.
The Cost of Children’s Periodontics
The cost of pediatric periodontic treatment for your child will vary depending on their individual needs and the treatment plan. We will discuss with you the cost of the treatment and each of your available payment options before we begin, so that you can make the best choice for your child’s situation.
Corrective Braces and Other Orthodontic Treatments
While you have known someone who had braces during their adolescent years, there are other orthodontic devices that may be beneficial in helping your child that are less well known, including these:
- Palatal Expanders: A custom-made pediatric device used to correct issues such as crowding, impacted teeth, and crossbite. The expander pushes the halves of the jaw apart from each other while preserving the bone to broaden the top jaw. Once the proper expansion has occurred, normally within three to six months, the expander will remain in place for several additional months so the bone in the gap of the palate can develop properly.
- Nance Button: Used for children who lose baby teeth too early, this partial acrylic plate is fixed around the rear teeth using two metal bands and is designed to prevent the incoming adult molars from moving too far forward. The Nance can be removable or cemented in place depending on your child’s unique needs.
- Lower Lingual Holding Arch: This orthodontic device is like the Nance in that it also prevents the adult teeth from progressing too quickly following the loss of a baby tooth, however, the lower lingual holding arch is attached to the bottom teeth with metal bands bound to the back molars and a U-shaped bar that joins these bands is placed behind the fully grown molars. Because the arch is not connected to any soft tissue, moderate soreness can occur.
To determine if your child might require braces or any other orthodontic tools, East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry will conduct a thorough examination to ensure their adult teeth are growing in strong and healthy.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY
Dr. Levy and the staff are wonderful, friendly, caring people. They make you feel calm during what can be a very stressful time. I had a deep cleaning & extraction yesterday and it was painless and quick. I was in and out in just a little over an hour. I received instructions for my aftercare along with the items needed to take care of my mouth. I feel wonderful today, no pain and eating normally. If you have anxiety about visiting the dentist, come see Dr. Levy and staff, they will put you at ease and take good care of you!
- Christi L
Everyone made me feel so welcomed even though I was nervous, Dr. Levy was great and informative made me feel very comfortable. I would recommend this office to anyone.
- Dee H.
Affordable Payment Plans
Your child’s smile is an invaluable asset, and we want to make it as easy as possible for them to receive the best dental care when you need it. East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry accepts most major credit cards and insurance plans. Our office staff is always available to help you with insurance claims and paperwork. We will work with your insurance provider to make sure that your coverage meets your needs and your budget.
Please let us know if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.
A Mission Statement YOU can Trust for High Quality Periodontal Care
The entire team at East Columbus Periodontic and Implant Dentistry is focused on providing you with excellence in periodontal and implant care in a concerned, caring, gentle, friendly, and relaxed environment. Our philosophy of care is multidisciplinary, to create partnerships with your general dentist as well as other dental specialists and provide you with the most comprehensive treatment planning and care that is available today.
Our team believes that communication is crucial for both you and us, both in written documentation and verbal communication. Value-based decisions are at the cornerstone of our personalized treatment for you. We are located at 5180 E. Main St., Suite A, Columbus, OH, 43213. Please call us today at 614-864-2561 to establish an appointment that works for your schedule.